Thursday, April 8, 2021

Winter's Eve

This is another quilt, actually finished, that was on my pandemic bucket list. The pattern is Sawtooth Star from one of my very first quilt books, Quilts! Quilts! Quilts! by Diana McClun and Laura Nownes. I saved these fabrics for over 20 years and they are very close to the colors in the quilt pictured in the book.


While it looks like a Christmas quilt, there are no Christmas-themed fabrics in it. The border is a Jinny Beyer fabric from eons ago! At the time I was putting this together in June 2020, I had not thought about who would own it. But as I worked on it, I decided my son Kevin and his lady, Jen, should have it.

Kevin was in the process of moving into Jen's house, his car loaded with stuff, when his fire department was called to a possible heart attack victim, with COVID symptoms. He did not have an N95 mask on, just the surgical mask that we've all come to know and hate. So after treating this person who did not survive, Kevin was put into quarantine right away. For two weeks. In a local motel. I was able to drop off some home-baked goodies; I left them in the grass outside his door and he retrieved them while I stood far away. I asked him if he was afraid someone would break into his car because it was loaded with all his paper products from his apartment, stuff that was nowhere to be found at that point in early April 2020!

So this was their Christmas present, which I quilted myself because my favorite long-arm quilter had her own problems at that time.

No comments: