Wednesday, July 7, 2021

Reflections in the Pond

I love the American Patchwork & Quilting Calendar! It lives in my kitchen where I see it constantly and think about each month's project. When I began receiving it, from the very first publication, I thought (here comes the fantasy!) well, I'll just make a project every month! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Seriously, the calendar has given me so much inspiration through the years that I have made a number of the featured quilts, sometimes with a little tweak. Reflections in the Pond is a recent one. It was designed by the late Heidi Kaisand and appeard in the 2018 calendar. It is black and white and designed with only four pink appliqued flowers. I collected my fabrics and as usual let them be until I was ready to begin. Instead of appliqueing flowers, I decided to integrate the pink fabric into four of the blocks. I brought this project to Florida and finished the top on March 19, 2020. As I started sewing, I thought about who would end up with it. Turns out the youngest little girl in the family was turning two in the summer of 2020 and her bedroom is a neutral gray. And as she turned two, she was about to graduate from the crib (she had a new sibling arriving soon!), so I thought this quilt would be the perfect size for a big-girl bed. I backed it with a reproduction fabric I had had for YEARS that had little pink hearts on a vine on a black background. Couldn't get better than that AND I reduced my black stash as well.

This was her second quilt; the first will be spotlighted as I recount the quilts backwards chronologically. And I am told she alternates which quilt to sleep with each night.



~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

P.S. This quilt has been very loved, but it is back in my possession for repair! The solid black inner border fabric is disintegrating! This is the second quilt where I have used a solid black, and I think the black is a leftover from many years ago and not bought in a quilt shop. So I will be working to fix this problem.


Audiobook for this quilt:

The End of October by Lawrence Wright

No comments: