Tuesday, July 6, 2021

How to Reduce a Quilt Stash

I found this book, Modern Views with 3-Yard Quilts by Donna Robertson of Fabric Cafe, during a quilt shop hop, and figured this was a really good way to start sewing into my stash. Robertson's books have become so popular that quilt shops are putting together 3-yard bundles of coordinating fabrics to display with several of her 3-yard books. I had no problem picking 3 yards of coordinating fabrics from all of the yardage I have accumulated over the years.

For my first 3-yard project, I picked what I considered to be an ugly fabric, I think designed by Jinny Beyer. It had a weird combination of turquoise, a pale green, and a pale maize. Every time I put my hand on that fabric I asked myself, “What was I thinking when I bought this!” So the challenge for me was to use it in a way someone would love it. Well, needless to say (for those of you who know), I had nothing in my stash to coordinate! So, during another quilt shop excursion, I found the green and the turquoise. I finished the top on March 25, 2020. I have to say I was pleased with the result. And so is a family member!


You know how purples can be vibrant and exciting? Then there are those that scream "old lady!" Now I mean no disrespect to us aged wonders. But it's that dull, muted purple I'm talking about that seems to suck the life out of you. Yeah, I have a bunch of that fabric, another WWIT (what was I thinking) print. I used that in my second 3-yard quilt. I don't have a picture, but maybe someone will love it.


Audiobook for this quilt: 

Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann

I did not finish listening because Crazy Rich Asians came up in my holds queue on Overdrive.

No comments: