Sunday, March 2, 2008

A Study in Color and Contrast

Television is so bad lately that I don't mind taking the time to post.

Here is something totally different from the past two quilts. This quilt top (it's not quilted yet) was made in a color and contrast class. I was a bit hesitant about taking the class because 1) I hate circles and curves and 2) I thought I knew everything there was to know about color-I usually just go with my gut feeling. However, I thought the contrast thing was useful. So I bought this beautiful oriental floral, the only fabric I bought by the way-my motto is use what I have before buying due to the size of my stash [hence the blog title]).

I didn't want a square quilt, so I added more blocks, but not more circles. I thought the blank squares added a dimension of...possibility. Besides, there was no way I was going to make more circles! So off I went making my blocks with no idea what the final product would be. Our teacher helped all of us in the class fiddle with our layouts, but I did NOT like the way mine worked out in class, so I started from scratch when I got home. It took me two hours just to lay out the blocks. Once the blocks were sewn together, it took me two hours more to figure out what to do with my border. Thank goodness for a flannel design wall! With the border fabrics figured out, then I had to construct the darn thing. Let me tell you - THAT was the biggest challenge for me. I think it turned out all right, don't you?


If you click on this picture, you can probably see the red fabric in the border. I've been hanging on to this particular red for a number of years and it was perfect for this quilt.

This is my favorite block. I love the way the circle print blends with each triangle. The green swirl is from my friend Joann's stash. What a great fabric.

I've been debating whether to machine-quilt or hand quilt this one. I've done machine-quilting on a similar type of quilt (with curves but I got paid for that one) with gold thread, which was really beautiful. But something in me says to hand-quilt with gold thread. What do you think?

No comments: