Friday, August 15, 2008

Dominick's Quilt...Finally!!!


For some reason, it just took forever to get this little quilt finished properly for its little owner. I purposefully made it look like an antique quilt because his mom's decorating style is Americana. I started with the backing first.

It is a pretty pastoral with children at play and doing chores, and it was 50% off which made the purchase even sweeter. I don't think I actually had a plan in mind for this print, other than I knew it was perfect for my newest grandson.

I found the churn dash blocks at a "Quilt Happening" at an orchard in northern Connecticut. They are all hand pieced and I had to lose some of the points when I sewed them together.

Then the search was on for the perfect sashing and border prints. What? Of course they were not in my overloaded fabric stash!!! I found them on the way home from a quilt show at a new quilt shop. It took several tours around the place before I spotted what I was looking for. I love the blue sashing. It seems to tie the blocks together and blend with the stripe fabric of the border and then continues to blend with the backing. Once it was assembled, I knew I would have to hand quilt it. Nothing less would keep that wonderful oldish feeling to it. So that's why it has taken me so long to make and take a picture. Here is Dominick with the quilt:

Isn't he adorable? Now it's on to his "happy" quilt!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Very nice! That backing is wonderful!

Laura Pirro said...

This quilt is one of my favorites.