Monday, April 28, 2008

A Long Time Ago and Far, Far Away

I never did finish my quilt from the beginner quilting class I took way back when. But I believe this is the first full quilt I made after that. This is Kim's college days quilt. I think I made it for her birthday during her junior year at Notre Dame. It is a giant star in peach and green and does not have traditional binding; I sewed the edges envelope-style and turned it right side out, then tied it. Kim still uses it, especially when company comes to visit. I remember laying it out on the floor of the quilt shop and how excited I was that my oldest would get my first totally completed quilt, perfect for her dorm room. I envisioned her showing it off to her friends and how they would envy her. It's a bit faded now and has a tear and maybe a stain or two, which shows how lovingly it has been used. It's made its way from Connecticut to Indiana to California, and hopefully will wind up back in Connecticut in the not-too-distant future.


No comments: